Youth are recognized as agents of change, entrusted with fulfilling their own potential and ensuring a world fit for future generations. The pandemic has testified that, when confronted with challenges, the young people have unimaginable courage and strength to fight at the frontline to protect the vulnerable. Youth are engaged in myriad ways in local governance, including awareness-raising, data collection and use, monitoring and accountability, etc. Their well-being, participation and empowerment are key drivers of sustainable development and peace around the world. Achieving the 2030 Agenda and turning the world into a caring and humanistic place requires strong and inclusive partnerships between young people and all stakeholders, so that their potential can be tapped, their position as partner can be recognized, and the development challenges facing youth can be properly addressed.
Xi’an City, one of the most important cradles of Chinese civilization, marked the start of the famous “Silk Road” that linked China with central Asia and the Roman Empire. Silk Road Spirit, which represents peace and cooperation, openness and inclusiveness, mutual learning and mutual benefit, are key values promoted by the city and are embedded in all its initiatives. The city has developed a partnership with Xi’an Jiaotong University (XJTU) and the International Knowledge Centre for Engineering Sciences and Technology (IKCEST), a category 2 center under the auspices of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in order to improve education standard and cooperation, and thus empower youth for a better future for all.
The Local4Action HUB Xi’an on Youth Education and Dialogue, aims to enable exchanges and interactions among youth from diverse cultural backgrounds from around the world, enabling mutual learning and sharing to drive the localization and implementation of Agenda 2030 with the power of youth amid the crucial Decade of Action.
The HUB consists of two main parts: a Global Youth Leadership Training Program held by Xi’an Municipal the People’s Government and Xi’an Jiaotong University (XJTU) and an SDG training system aimed at enabling college students to resonate with the urgency of global agenda.
The Global Youth Leadership Training Program is made up of a hybrid three-day lecture series on themes of Urban Governance Modernization and Sustainable Urban Development, and a High-Level Youth Dialogue Forum. Professors from XJTU share urban governance practices and cases in poverty alleviation, rural vitalization, big data, ecological civilization.
It furthermore engages students from around the world in the Xi’an International Scholar Program, and a High Level Youth Dialogue Forum, encouraging cross-cultural quality educational engagements.
Through the activities of the HUB, the following agendas are promoted:
- Developing educational opportunities, gathering and sharing spaces which promote a culture of inclusiveness and openness
- Ensuring high quality educational resources and innovative ideas can cross-pollinate between cities, countries and regions
- Promote exchanges and dialogue in the spirit of equality of education
Furthermore, the following themes will be held in focus in the Local4Action HUB Xi’an on Youth Education and Dialogue:
- China’s Practice under Sustainable Development Goals
- Poverty Alleviation and Rural Revitalization
- Refined Public Security Management Supported by Satellite Remote Sensing and Urban Spatial Data
- Ecological Civilization in Urban Governance
Youth dialogue and education with different cultural backgrounds are related to world peace and development, and are the key factors to achieve the goal of sustainable development. This initiative aims to accelerate the achievement of SDGs by promoting dialogue among youth, to achieve the vision of “leaving no one and no place behind.”
Link to Agenda 2030
- SDG 4 – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- SDG 5 – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- SDG 8 – Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- SDG 17 – Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development
Link to the Pact for the Future of Humanity
- Commitment for People
- C2 – Foster universal and equitable access to public services, including housing, health, education and participation in cultural and political life.
- Commitment for Government
- C1 – Promote inclusive, participatory, responsible and accountable multilevel governance leading to global action.
Link to other Global Agendas
- Agenda 21 for Culture.
Local4Action Hub Xi’an was launched between 10-12 August 2021. All cities, territories and key partners were invited to join in dialogues aiming to share ideas and perspectives on sustainable urban development.
- The Global Youth Leadership Training Program on Urban Governance Modernization and Sustainable Urban Development builds on a dialogue mechanism for young officials from different backgrounds. The 3-day event raised youth their awareness on Sustainable Development Goals, promoted cultural exchanges and cooperation, and enhanced local governance capabilities to benefit the people.
- A special session was also undertaken in the framework of the three-day training program that focused on the localization of SDG 4, 8, and 11, and included 5 lectures and 1 forum, providing young officials with opportunities to discuss important topics, including urban governance, poverty alleviation, big data and ecological civilization through urban governance practices and cases.
- Exchange programs and scholarships.